Areas of Expertise
- Alcohol and Drug related problems
- Comorbidity – two or more co-existing medical conditions.
- Forensic Assessment and Reporting – concerned with legal, compensation and criminal cases.
- Major Mental Illness
- Mental Health Problems
- Organic Psychiatry – diseases of the nervous system e.g. head injury, dementia.
- Personality Disorders
- Posttraumatic Stress Disorder
Dr John Flanagan has considerable expertise and experience in the assessment and management of major mental illness and serious mental health problems, including personality disorder, alcohol and drug related problems, comorbidity and organic psychiatry.
Throughout Dr Flanagan’s career, he has spent many years working in Psychiatric Hospitals, General Hospitals and Community Mental Health Services. He holds appointments as a Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Queensland and is an Accredited Independent Medical Examiner for WorkCover Queensland.
Dr Flanagan has a genuine and increasing interest, experience and expertise in forensic assessment and reporting. Dr Flanagan is available for medicolegal assessments in Rockhampton.
- Visiting Psychiatrist
- Mater Private Hospital, Rockhampton
- Hillcrest Private Hospital, Rockhampton
- Consultant Psychiatrist in General Adult Psychiatric Practice
- Clinical Senior Lecturer, University of Queensland
- Former Director of Mental Health Services, Rockhampton District Mental Health Services
- Former Regional Director of Mental Health, Gold Coast Health Services
- Former Medical Superintendent, Baillie Henderson Mental Hospital, Toowoomba
- Accredited Independent Medical Examiner, WorkCover Queensland
- Bachelor of Science
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- Member of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists
- Member of the Australian Society of Hypnosis
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists