What is a General Physician?
A General Physician deals with the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of diseases. Their areas of expertise include:
- Diseases of the Nervous System – diagnosis and treatment of all types of disease or impaired function of the brain, spinal cord, peripheral nerves, muscles and autonomic nervous system, internal or endocrine glands such as the thyroid and adrenal glands. This specialist also deals with disorders such as diabetes, metabolic and nutritional disorders, obesity and pituitary diseases.
- Disease of the Gastrointestinal System – diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the digestive organs including the stomach, bowel, liver and gall bladder. This specialist treats conditions such as abdominal pain, ulcers, diarrhoea, cancer and jaundice.
- Cardiac Disease – diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the heart and blood vessels including abnormal heartbeat rhythms and hypertension.
- Kidney Disease – diagnosis and treatment of disorders of the kidney, high blood pressure, fluid and mineral balance.
- Respiratory Medicine – diagnosis and treatment of cancer, pneumonia, pleurisy, asthma, occupational and environmental diseases, bronchitis, sleep disorders, emphysema and other complex disorders of the lungs and respiratory system.
- Infectious Diseases
- Pain Management
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.